Only Facebook for authentication?

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Is the only user authentication done through Facebook right now? 

There's no way to create/add Near Forum users without Facebook?

Or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Hi,

In the current release, there is no way to authenticate in another way.

In next releases, there will be a possibility to authenticate using OAuth (to support Twitter, Google, Yahoo, etc). The idea is to let the users login quickly with the current user from a provider...

If you need to create a user for the forum, should be simple by adding a new method in the SecurityHelper, something like TryLoginFromCustomProvider.

Kind Regards,

Jorge

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2010 at 2:37 PM

In Release 3, Twitter OAuth has been added as an authentication provider along with Facebook Connect.

Regards!

Aug 19, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Why not consider a claim based authentication/authorization integration with Microsoft's ACS ( Access Control Service )? This way you get security tokens in the format of SAML or SWT from ACS which can take Google, Yahoo, Facebook... as identity provider.

I am taking a look at your user database, will try to put some code to see if I can glue NearForums authentication with my ACS account in Azure.....

Reggie

Coordinator
Aug 23, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Hi Reggie,

Notice that this is an old thread...

On V4, SSO using OpenId was added and on V6,  ASP.NET membership has been added for authentication.

Anyway if you find any missing feature you want to develop, submit a fork or a changeset in order join the Nearforums dev team!

Kind regards,

Jorge