Source code hosting

Coordinator
Jan 31, 2011 at 2:29 PM
Edited Feb 3, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Codeplex SVN Bridge for TFS is not very good (while branching and merging specially). It also does not supports various svn properties.

So, the options available (that I can think of) are :

1. Move project to management & hosting to another server:
    • GitHub (Git)
    • Bitbucket (Hg)
    • Google Code (Hg / SVN)
  2. Move only the sourcecode hosting to another server
  3. Ask the codeplex team to switch the repository to Mercurial
Coordinator
Feb 1, 2011 at 4:11 AM

Although I'd work with the project no matter where it is hosted, here's what I think:

• Codeplex Pros
    • Simple and easy to use
    • Great community of mostly .Net developers which is great to recruit new developers to the project
    • Supports SVN, Mercurial, among others
    • Excellent exposure
  • Codeplex Cons
    • Microsoft stuff centric
    • SVN is slow
    • Functionality is too limited.
    • Doesn't really have the "social network" aspect as other sites (although I'm somewhat skeptical about what people really call a "social network" but that's another story) which may limit the involvement of other devs who may be following the project

I haven't used either github nor bitbucket in projects. I've played around with both though and I think bitbucket UI is much neater, simpler and elegant. Most of the devs on those sites aren't .NET devs from what I can see which is good and bad at the same time I think. Regarding SCM I have used Mercurial a bit for pet-hello-world projects and it's pretty cool. It even has a builtin http server (hgserve). I haven't used Git so I can't comment a lot on it but from what I read Git is the powerhouse of DVCS but it's a bit harder to use. So my extremely subjective choice is... mmmm I think that although I don't see a problem with codeplex, If we are going to change hosting I prefer Bitbucket and Mercurial. But that's just my subjectivity talking. In the end what matters is the result and that we all work as a team to achieve it.

Coordinator
Feb 3, 2011 at 10:03 AM

On Codeplex, when you set-up a new project you can choose version control system between SVN (TFS) and Mercurial.

Maybe we can continue with Codeplex and (in the near future / when we fill confortable) ask the codeplex team to migrate our repository to Mercurial (other projects such as Umbraco have done that). If we want to do this, we should test (create a new project and test the mercurial server) the performance of the branching/merging

What do you think?

PS: I added google code as an option

Coordinator
Feb 5, 2011 at 9:01 PM

I think that's great a great idea.

Should we consider source safe? :-)

Don't kill me yet, I was joking hehe 

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2011 at 5:08 PM

XD Source safe reeeeaaally sucked!!

OK, I'll start contacting the codeplex team to migrate to mercurial in the future (after the next release?).

Coordinator
Feb 13, 2011 at 5:02 AM

Way to go buddy! :-)

Coordinator
Feb 18, 2011 at 9:21 AM

The migration was done, see the thread at http://nearforums.codeplex.com/discussions/246359 for more info.