Forum Module for Orchard Project

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Hello,

The Orchard Project needs a forum module, I was wondering if the author of this project can look into wrapping it up into the official forum module for Orchard. That will surely bring more exposure to this forum app as well. Instructions for easily creating a module can be found here; http://www.orchardproject.net/docs/

Thanx,

Coordinator
Mar 17, 2011 at 9:07 AM

It could be interesting!

We will discuss it to see how it can be achieved.

We are currently a team of 2 active developers, would you like to join the team?

Regards,

Jorge

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Hello Jorge, I appreciate your interest in a forum module for Orchard and inviting me on board, however, I am still learning the .NET framework and might be more of a bother than any help. I will do my best to get others involved in working with you on this and also notify the Orchard developers to provide you any asistance you may need. Here is a thread on the Orchard Project where it has recently been discussed; http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/249900

Thanx,

Mar 18, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Me and other members of the Orchard community will be happy to help with any questions you may have on Orchard. Our forums can be found at http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:01 PM

It's a good idea, but i agree about what bertrandleroy said on a disucssion on the orchard codeplex site.
Authorization functionality is already available in Orchard, even integration with OpenId and OAuth (Facebook, Twitter) is done by another module.

It only needs to be forum functionality.

bertrandleroy wrote:

One thing I'd be careful about when building such a module is to factor out what is not specific to forums. For example, all the user management/profile, swear filters, categories/topics, etc. could be reused in other contexts.

Another thing to note is that even if the forum features are split out across multiple modules and features, there is a new 1.1 feature that enables modules to expose recipes on how to build the full system. For example, a forum module's recipe could be built to make sure that dependent modules get downloaded, installed and wired up as a single operation.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Jorgebg, any word or update on what's going on withi this?

Coordinator
Apr 7, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Hi,

We are focused on releasing the latest features of nearforums itself, we are open for new members... We are not working on the Orchard forum module you proposed.

Kind Regards,

Jorge

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Hi,

I'm currently developing a site with Orchard, any news about integrating nearforums in Orchard?

I'm very very interesting and I could join the team that deals with the integration...

It would be a great combination Orchard and Nearforums!! ;-)

Coordinator
Feb 2, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Hi,

Indeed it would be a great combination (even both projects are part of the same foundation).

Currently, website owners can add a Nearforums as sub application in a Orchard-driven website. We are putting a special effort on providing multiple ways to authenticate users into a Nearforums app to facilitate the integration with any other website. Also, we could provide the embed feature as in Vanilla Forums, to provide an easy copy/paste integration....

We are currently focused on making Nearforums the best product as a standalone application (main or subapplication), but if we (we=you and us) see that it would be feasible to develop a Forum module for Orchard inside Nearforums, we should also go there.

About how to, I don't know much about Orchard CMS but I see a some incompatibilities and complications to create a module:

1. Data storage: DataMigrations (Orchard) vs DbUp with sql scripts (Nearforums)
  2. Authentication: IMembershipService (Orchard) vs Authentication providers
  3. The Nearforums dev team (or at least some devs) should have an advanced knowledge of Orchard. This could affect new developers learning curve.
  4. Views and resources like js files.

My main worry is the 3rd, because most technical problems probably can be overcome...

If you want to continue discussing this issues, you can create a new discussion so we can all analyse the implications.

About joining the Nearforums dev team, you are more than welcome!!!! (to develop this or any other enhancement) Just read and follow the instructions on the Community Guide and start by creating a Fork of Nearforums, once you do it, let us know.

Kind Regards,

Jorge