How to grant access to a specific set of users

Apr 17, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Hi there,

Nearforums looks great and I'm very keen on using it for our appartment complex. However I was not able to verify whether it is possible to limit the number of registered users to whoever I (or an admin) choose, e.g if I only wanted to grant access to the people living in our appartment complex - that is user authorization, not authentication. Is that possible at all?

Coordinator
Apr 17, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Hi,

It's possible to grant a specific role (promote / demote to admin, moderator, ...) to one or many users using the Admin Dashboard.

Kind Regards,

Jorge

Apr 17, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Hi jorgebg,

Thanks for the quick reply :-)

That sounds great, but what happens to authenticated users, say if a user authenticates himself with Facebook or Twitter but is not part of the appartment complex. Will it be possible to restrict access to all but the users in a specific role?

Coordinator
Apr 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Sorry I didn't understand the question the first time:

It's not possible to restrict access to (hide content) threads or post to all users except the users in a specific role.

Regards,

Jorge

PS: I will create a new feature request for showing content only for certain roles (moderator / admins) but it will take some time to be implemented...

Coordinator
Apr 17, 2011 at 6:55 PM

http://nearforums.codeplex.com/workitem/20034

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:20 AM

Hi jorgebg,

That sounds great - thanks for putting it up for request! I might be able to develop a solution for that particular requirement myself so there's no rush.

Developer
Jun 17, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Just a heads-up -- I've included this feature in my fork of the project, which may end up getting included with the next release.  If you want to test it out, I'd encourage you to do so and let me know what issues, if any, you have with it.