No forums found. Create a forum.

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:56 PM

I have the nearforums application set up and am able to browse to the default page, at what point I get the screen "No forums found. Create a forum." 

I further set up a facebook application and added the necessary keys to the site config file.

When I try to login with facebook it does seem to authenticate me ( it does not create an account in the Users Table) which I assume it has to in order to work...

The result is that it kicks me back to the home/default page....

looked through all install instructions but am unable to get over this hump...

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Oliver

Coordinator
Apr 24, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Dear Oliver,

In order to understand what is happening, could you answer these questions:

• Do this happen after you enter your credentials in facebook login page and click submit or you are not able to reach that page?
  • Does the machine has internet access? Are you behind a proxy? (After successful login onto facebook, nearforums tries to connect to facebook to ask if all went OK and to get facebook data like username and photo)
  • Did you tried sign in with twitter to see if it works, in this case (just to test) you don't necessary have to create a twitter application... It should work in any host.

Kind Regards,

Jorge

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Hi Jorge,

Thank you for your quick response...

• Do this happen after you enter your credentials in facebook login page and click submit or you are not able to reach that page?
  • Yes... I am able to get the Facebook pop-up login page and get redirected to the forum homepage afterwards. The page does not change appearance ( no Edit Profile etc...) If I click the Facebook connect button again the pop-up page does no reappear. I assume facebook did set the cookie... only after I clear the browser history do I get the Login pop-up again.
  • Does the machine has internet access? Are you behind a proxy? (After successful login onto facebook, nearforums tries to connect to facebook to ask if all went OK and to get facebook data like username and photo)
  • Yes... my machine is online I am not working on localhost I have the app running on my dev server which is online... No I am not behind a proxy...
  • Did you tried sign in with twitter to see if it works, in this case (just to test) you don't necessary have to create a twitter application... It should work in any host.
  • I did not think of this at first, but used twitter to authenticate just now and all went well... It did authenticate me and added an entry to the Users table... I was able to get into the admin area. The only thing I noticed was that I only was able to view a few pages before it kicked me out again. Another login was required...

I appreciate your assistance...

Thank you,

Oliver

Coordinator
Apr 25, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Hi Oliver,

I'm guess that it could be the facebook app set up...

• Go to the facebook interface to edit the app
  • Select the application
  • Click on Edit Settings
  • Click on the (left tab) menu Website
  • There the Site Url should be the Url of the homepage of the nearforums site, for example on the sample website facebook app it is set to http://sample.nearforums.com/ (including the last trailing slash)

In your case should be http://localhost/ or the host configured in IIS.

If you are using a IIS Express or a dev server that uses an special port, it shoud be http://localhost:portnumber/

Hope it helps,

Kind Regards,

Jorge

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Hi Jorge...

I tried all that... my setting is correct... but I still have the same issues. here is the test forum I set up... http://www.siteinsider.com maybe that helps in trouble shooting.

any Idea why the twitter session is so very short?

Thank you,

Oliver

Coordinator
Apr 25, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Hi Oliver,

About the session expiring is not a matter of twitter, is the ASP.NET session that is beeing lost. That's probably a matter of the IIS application pool, its being recicled too often...

If its a shared hosting enviroment, you are probably sharing the app pool... Ask your hosting provider to put your website in a separate app pool.

About the facebook sign in issue, I'm looking into it... Its probably due to the facebook .net api client (it sucks!). I'll get back to you for this issue.

In the meantime, I'll ask again, are you using http://www.siteinsider.com/ (including trailing slash) as SiteUrl in facebook app interface?

Regards,

Jorge

Coordinator
Apr 25, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Can you send me a mail to jorgebaygondra at gmail to deal with the facebook sign in issue?

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:01 PM

I just set up a new NearForums site and had to do the Facebook Developers circuit to get the API key and secret (Jorge's note above helped, but I think the Facebook Developers page looks a little different these days). I had missed the step of checking off how I wanted to integrate with Facebook, using a website, and then I added the new NearForums URL. Once I did that the login worked. And I am able to get to the admin dashboard.

For me the most confusing thing so far about NearForums is the security. I expected to use the installation login (database user and password) to be able to login my first time. I did not guess that using either the Twitter or Facebook authentication would get me in as admin.

For a newbie like myself, it would be Ever So Helpful to have some short instructions show up after the installation completes successfully. I actually reinstalled twice thinking I was doing something wrong with SQL db account info and that was why I could not login.

Also, I am naive about what Facebook does once the authentication is made. Does the login choice they display (Public, etc) mean that the forum data will start displaying at my Facebook page?

Coordinator
Dec 29, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the input and the detail of your opinion, you are right, there should be a way to know where you are in the installation and what should be your next steps...

If you have any more comments, don't hesitate to contact us!

Kind Regards,

Jorge