Forum Security

Developer
Jun 10, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Hey all!

Cool project, probably the most mature of the ASP.NET MVC forums I've seen to date, so I thought I'd pull it down to use for a site I administer.  I found it to be a little lacking as far as security goes, so I've forked the code and made some major changes to the way groups work, and in the process, provided each forum to have a user access level for View, List, Reply, and New Post.  I'd be happy to help contribute other features as my needs dictate, but I'd like some comments to the implementation of these such that they may make it into your trunk.

Thanks,

Sean

Coordinator
Jun 11, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Hi Sean,

Great job!!! 

I will give you a full answer on monday, this weekend i will not be home....

Kind Regards,

Jorge

Coordinator
Jun 12, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Hi Sean,

I took some time to look at your implementation: Great job!!! Really an awesome work and I think the “access levels on forums” feature is nice.

About porting the feature into the trunk (default branch), personally I think it would be a good idea. Jason, as team member, should also give his opinion on all this.

Generally we work as detailed in the Community Guide and in the Development Guide: Propose a feature -> vote on it -> discuss how to implement it -> assign it -> develop it (in the default branch if it isn’t a huge feature). But I understand your current situation: your goal is to apply your improvements that fit the needs of your project (an online site).

How to do it is another thing to discuss :) …because we never did this and we don’t have a policy on how a forked feature should be ported into the trunk (For example, should we raise an issue and vote for changes or if the feature stays as is…) But this should be a good exercise! We can all participate (you also have your vote as nearforums team member!) with our opinion and input.

Welcome to the team!

Kind Regards,

Jorge

Developer
Jun 13, 2011 at 2:46 AM

Hey Jorge,

I'm very happy to work within a team where there's consensus on features to make it into the trunk -- I'd be happy to contribute as I can for features that my userbase needs, but I'd be happy to add more that enhances the product generally as well.  If you or Jason determine features aren't appropriate or mature enough for the trunk, that's fine by me -- I can continue to work in a trunk version for those things that haven't been agreed to be committed and where possible add other items to separate trunks to easy integration for things that don't depend on uncommitted features.  If I end up adding things that are generally not desired to be in the trunk product, then I can happily continue to work on a version that meets my needs, but where possible, I have tried to keep all the items that I need which are not applicable to others out of checkins I've made.

I also noted a feature comparison matrix for Near located here: http://www.forummatrix.org/show/Nearforums -- while I'm not bent on adding everything listed there, I'll be happy to take a look at the Issue Tracker here and items missing in comparisons as well.  

Glad to be part of the team!  I love what this product is thus far, and ultimately will be happy to help improve it all I can.

-Sean

Coordinator
Jun 13, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Hi Sean,

Great!

About the process on getting the changes from your fork into the default branch, please be patient, because it will be the first time: I will start new thread here to where we can all discuss how-to and stablish a mecanism to do this in the future.

About features you want to develop in the future, if you follow the procs stablished in the guides, you can do them directly in the default branch and contribute for the Nearforums project directly :)

Some small remarks for working in the main line of development: Don't do code style changes on already written code (we can discuss the style we should use but we should not change it directly) and use DbUp (as detailed in the dev guide) for db schema changes. I understand that you probably didn't care about this because it was your own Fork :)

As team member, Nearforums is your project also, and I'll enjoy coding next to you!!!

Kind Regards,

Jorge

Coordinator
Jun 13, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Posted: How to include features from a Fork into the main line of development

Coordinator
Jun 14, 2011 at 7:19 AM

Hi Sean Great Job!

I haven't had the time to review the code completely but from your explanation so far I think this is a nice feature and the way you implemented it was very clever too. Regarding the issue of porting the fork back to the trunk, as Jorge said, it will take us some time. There were a lot of changes in there!!! :-) We may need to come up with some plan about how to merge this fork properly because as Jorge said, this is the first NearForums fork. I'll be revewing the code during the week and make any suggestions if necessary during the weekend. Sorry I've been a bit busy lately guys, hopefully I'll be back to my "full-time" nearforums duties within the next 2 weeks :-).

Thanks for your contribution Sean! We hope to work with you more often!