E-mail notifications of new posts

Developer
Jun 17, 2011 at 10:25 PM

I'm curious if anyone has thoughts/feedback on this idea before I open it in the issue tracker --

I'm basically migrating a userbase of about 300 users and 5,000 historical messages from a Yahoo Group into NearForums.  So far, it's been great with some changes here and there (included in my fork of the project, see the Source Code tab for more info on that).  One feature Y! groups has is the ability to subscribe to the group and get either a notification on each new message created, much like a mailing list, or to get a daily digest summarizing the messages, basically concatenating them into a single e-mail, truncating very long posts.

What's your thoughts on this kind of feature getting added into the project?  Some conditions I can think of include somehow providing a way to limit e-mails going out -- for one, I'm hosting this on a GoDaddy VPS, which limits outbound SMTP messages to 1,000 a day.  If others have similar constraints, it may make sense to delay the generation of notifications and 'batch' them every few hours.  If the system can detect it probably will hit a configurable daily threshold, it should at least get the digests out and stop there.  Otherwise, it'd send out what's queued in the batch and wait for the next batching period.

I'd really like to know how others would or wouldn't use this feature, or if there's other/better ways to accomplish this that I haven't considered.

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2011 at 5:11 PM

About the "Receive notifications in a daily digest", my opinion is that it is an interesting feature to have.

About the limit, I don't think it is a good idea because there is way to notify the user that he/she is not getting the daily mail... If a website owner uses more than hosting specs (in file sizes / db size / smtp / traffic constraints ), the website owner should upgrade his/her hosting plan or cut functionality...

Regards!

Jorge