Implement nearforums to use as a module/component

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:11 AM
Edited Sep 19, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Hi,

My plan is to create a site with a forum module integrated into it. The site is ASP.NEt 4.0 with MVC 3, so i think it is possible to use nearforums as a widget
I would like to create my own pages and then use nearforums code to handle the forum part.

Is this feasible/recommended? The forum itself will be surrounded with other widgets and all sorts non-forum related parts
Is it possible to show a part of the forum (like a subforum) on one page and show another subforum on another page?

Would you recommend to use the nearforums sourcecode as a base of the site to be created or do you have another solution/method which could help me get started?

The non-forum parts of the site are not static so i could not add them via the cms feature of nearforums

I would like to be able to update nearforums once a new version is released and keep the rest of the site in tact

What are your thoughts?

Coordinator
Sep 19, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Hi!

Here are some opinions on what you are asking

A- Extend codebase to handle the other sections of your site

This approach would require you to learn about how Nearforums works. The first steps should be slow but then it could save you a lot of extra work in the future. You even can do a Fork and keep up to date with the changes the Nearforums dev team does on the main line of development. 

You would have to give Nearforums source code a look to see if you "like" the conventions used and organization of the solution, because this would be your base for your own project.

B- Integrate Nearforums in your main site

You have 2 main possibilities to integrate Nearforums with your main site:

1. Use Nearforums as subapplication on IIS. This should be a clean install, no extra code needed. You will need to configure the authentication... Its easy if you use ASP.NET Membership on your main site.
  2. Integrate to run in your main site. In this case, it would require some extra work. You could reference the nearforums dlls on your web project and add the required views (maybe consider areas?). Then configure your routes to use namespaces (to avoid controller and actions with the same full name), and prefix all the nearforums routes (delivered in config/routes.config file) with, for example, forums/.
    This is more flexible than the other option, but it would require a lot of extra work... 

I would go with A or B1... but it is just my opinion...

I hope it helps!

Jorgebg

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I am thinking of going for option A. I am fairly new to MVC because i am used to do ASP.net (with MVP sometimes).
I downloaded the sourcecode and it looks very neat and i think it is clear enough for me to get it going and extend the site with the nearforums a base

I could even consider installing the VS2010 TortoiseHG (or VisualHG i think). What do you recommend? I do not want to mess up your source with my fiddling, so checking in and pushing must not be possible. Maybe do sourcecontrol outside of VS2010 on a seperate directory?
Sourcecontrol is not new to me, but i use teamfoundation server. so i must check Mercurial clients listed here

Thank you for your rapid response. It is very comforting to know i could ask questions and could help me so close to the source :)

Best regards,
Comm512

Coordinator
Sep 19, 2011 at 11:13 AM

You should install both clients TortoiseHG (for Windows Explorer) and VisualHg (For VS). 

With mercurial, you could create a local repository on your dev machine or directly do a Fork (it would be used just by you and not affect the rest of nearforums developers).

Kind Regards,

Jorgebg

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Sorry for all these questions, but i am not at all comfortable with creating my own fork just yet. Could i start out with just downloading the src zipped and maybe later upgrade to use the code from Mecurial? or is this not advisable? 

Best regards,

Comm512

Coordinator
Sep 19, 2011 at 11:33 AM

It is not a problem to do it like that (offline mode) !!

:)

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:47 PM
Edited Nov 30, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Please refer to code project we will get more details

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Please refer to code project we will get more details

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:38 AM
Hi Comm512

Hi we are also trying the option A . so can you please help me .