Thoughts about NF SQL

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:18 PM
Edited Nov 16, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I have friend who knows relative db very good, he helped me once to make SQL scheme for my project.

Why nearforums uses default aspnet_Membership sql scheme? Yeap, it's rdy to go, but 11 tables just for user profiles - very odd.

Look at default user table: uniqueidentifier instead of int for user id? Also, look like extra profile fields are made.

What do you think?

Coordinator
Nov 16, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Hi Jurasiks,

Nearforums comes with SQL and MySql Membership support. We use ASP.NET Membership as one of the possible authentication providers (including facebook, twitter and sso). It can be enabled or disabled by configuration (Site.config).

To make the installation easier (see manual installation instructions) for site owners, we decided to deliver 1 sql file per database engine. In the case of SQL Server, is really a merge of 3 sql scripts.

With this approach the site owner gets a more "dirty" database (a lot of tables and procs for membership), but he/she has the flexibility to enable or disable Membership without any aditional setup. Considering that additional db objects (possibly unused), do not affect db performance is just ugly.

... What do you think?

Coordinator
Nov 21, 2011 at 3:04 AM

Hi jurasiks,

As jorgebg mentioned. We use ASP.NET Membership for authentication for site admins that want to manage their own users' accounts instead "outsourcing it" to twitter, facebook or OpenId. The database schema and framework for Membership was designed by Microsoft and it may seem bloated but it is actually pretty rock-solid. It is usually better to leverage on industry-proven security frameworks that to design your own from scratch.