Possible to turn off the creation of new accounts altogether?

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:40 PM

We'd like to have a small select group of participants with logins in the forums, but still allow read access to all other members of the community.

How can I turn off the authentication/registration for all new visitors after the core group of forum posters are created?

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Hi,

You could turn it off by removing (or xml comment) the child nodes of the element authorizationProviders in the Site.config file located in the folder \Config.

Kind Regards,

Jorge

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Thanks for that fast (like lightning fast!) reply.

But my expected result is that authentication mechanisms are still in place for the existing users, and only new users to the forum are prevented from Creating an account.

Looking at the element in site.config now….

Seems to me it’s an all or nothing proposition which would not meet my requirements.

I think I will poke around in the source code of Roadkill Wiki and see how the enable/disable creation of new accounts works there. That project could benefit from the authentication providers that you have setup for Nearforums, ie. Twitter and Facebook providers.

For my own community, what I’d really like to do is achieve Single Sign On across Orchard/Nearforums/RoadkillWiki. That would be heavenly.

Thanks for a great product. I was able to follow the process for creating a custom template very quickly. Nice that you made that so easy!

Bill Delaney

Ps. Note that I posted a bug today about user account email data integrity issue.

Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:45 AM
To: delaneybill@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Possible to turn off the creation of new accounts altogether? [nearforums:286414]

Hi,

You could turn it off by removing (or xml comment) the child nodes of the element authorizationProviders in the Site.config file located in the folder \Config.

Kind Regards,

Jorge

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Hi Bill,

A planned feature may meet your requirements: per forum and topic user read/right access.

It means that you could create a forum that only members of a certain role can post new topics...Or a topic which only admins can read...

This feature is planned for the next release, but it's not active (in dev) yet.

Kind Regards,

Jorge