Nearforum project's mission failed?

May 6, 2012 at 5:27 AM
Edited May 6, 2012 at 5:31 AM

"Nearforum project's mission statement is to create, a lightweight fast modern forum engine..."

So, how about to get rid off default MemberShip provider (with 11 useless tables!), get rid of GUID in user tables, and get rid off user duplicate inserts in that tables?

IMHO.

Coordinator
May 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Hi, 

Nearforums supports MySql and MSSQL ASP.NET Membership provider, depending on your server infrastructure and your requirements you could install one of them. 

I agree that the SQL Server ASP.NET Membership provider uses a lot of database objects but it does not impact performance, the database size or any other concern that as site owner or server admin you should have.

There are many ways to authenticate users into a Nearforums website. If you don't need to have Membership, you can avoid installing the db objects: see the folder db/mssql/base and execute 2 of the 3 sql files.

Anyway, we take in account your opinion and if you want to take more decisions in this project you should consider joining us!

Kind Regards,

Jorge

May 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM
jorgebg wrote:

but it does not impact performance, the database size or any other concern that as site owner or server admin you should have.

I second this.  The performance of Nearforum is exceptionally good compared with other MVC based apps that I have used.  The membership provider tables take less than 4MB space which is essentially negligible even for a tablet device. The ASP.NET Membership provider developed by MSFT is mature and solid.  Using it instead of reinventing the wheel makes a lot of sense.  As a user, I am interested in good performance and maintainability.  Nearforum has both.

Hong