Looking for advice

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Hello, 

I have ASP.NET MVC 4 web project and need to integrate support forums.

The two requirements I have:

- I need the forums to integrate with the existing SimpleMembershipProvider or "play nice" with the existing user store via some work-around.

- I would like the forum to be located in the same AppDomain in a sub-folder. Preferably, I don't want to use a sub-domain of the existing domain but rather copy all NearForums files into a subfolder in my project and then re-use the existing layout page. 

Can these be accomplished with NearForums?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2012 at 9:31 AM
Edited Nov 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Hi,

Nearforums supports ASP.NET Membership providers, SimpleMembershipProvider is a Membership provider, then Nearforums supports SimpleMembershipProvider.

You could run Nearforums on the same AppDomain, but I think it going to be painful to integrate. Running 2 web apps on the same AppDomain and path could be difficult: it would depend on your implementation of Routing and how your application uses the ASP.NET MVC pipeline.

The easiest way to integrate the Nearforums functionality within your application would be using an ASP.NET subapplication, something like yourhost/forums/, and then configure the Membership provider and the template.

Kind Regards,

Jorge