Adding the forum as a link on an existing website

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Another question...I have an existing website, but I've downloaded/installed the forum as a file in a "test" website, but when I open the "default" page of the test website, it comes up with the forum as the default page.

What I need to do is set up a link to open the forum from the main website. How do I set that up? Is there a thread or instructions on how to do that? Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA,

Coleen

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I guess I need to clarify - what I'm trying to do is add the forums as a "Tab" or separate page to my existing website. How do I do this?

I'm glad I used a test website before I installed this directly in my live website, because right now, when I open the default or "home" page of my test website, it automatically opens the forum. I don't want that. I need this to be a separate page within my existing website - not the default or home page for visitors to go to.

Can anyone please help me with this? I'd greatly appreciate any assistance. Thank you!

Coleen

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Hi Coleen,

Running 2 apps in the same path can be hard to deal with...

You could run Nearforums on the same AppDomain, but I think it going to be painful to integrate. Running 2 web apps on the same AppDomain and path could be difficult: it would depend on your implementation of Routing and how your application uses the ASP.NET MVC pipeline.

The easiest way to integrate the Nearforums functionality within your application would be using an ASP.NET subapplication, something like yourhost/forums/, and then configure the Membership provider and the template.

Kind Regards,

Jorge

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I won't be running two web apps - just my main domain website and what I want to do is have a tab for the forums on the navigation bar in my main website. There are no other apps on the website (unless you count the Google search widget.)

So my website would be set up as www.mydomain.com/default.aspx (my home page of course) and the forums as www.mydomain.com/forums. The forums are the only place users would need to sign in - there is no need for "visitors' to sign in, only members of the forums, and they would reach the forum by navigating to it on a tab in my navigation menu. Does that make sense?

I'm not sure how to set this up because when I installed the forum to my test website using the Microsoft Web App Gallery on my hosting company's server, it did NOT create a separate default page for the forums. How do I set this up to NOT be the home page of my website? Thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

Coleen

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Hi Coleen,

Nearforums (and most web apps) is prepared to run on the path you select. If you install it on a subapplication like yoursite/forums it will be executed there.

Kind Regards,

Jorge

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Okay, so when I did the auto set-up on my hosting server and didn't choose a sub directory that is why it's opening as the main default page? Hmmm, so how do I uninstall it? I'll uninstall it and re-install it correctly. Any info on an uninstall? Or should I just ask my hosting company to restore the test site to before I installed it? I'm glad I used a test site. ;-) Thanks very much for your help.

Now to figure out how to update the template and still have the functionality of the forums (see my other post) Thanks again.

Coleen

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:50 PM
Edited Dec 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I had the hosting service restore my test website to a date before I installed the Nearforums directly in th wwwroot folder. I then re-installed it to wwwroot/myhomedirectory/forums however, when I tried to launch it directly after the installation I get an error: "The connection to the server was reset" I get the same error if i try to type in the URL directly path is: http://www.mywebsite/forums. Is there a file extension I should be using to get it to open the default page? What IS the default file called? I can't find a main defaul.aspx file in the directory of files that were just installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Coleen

Update; It was an error on the hosting service server. It is working now! :-) Very cool! Now to get the template working correctly...thanks for your assistance.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM
Edited Dec 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM

One more question on this issue...

I have this working correctly from a sub-directory, but what I want to do is also add it as a link on my website. What is the file name for the main forum so I can insert it in my link? I.e., all of my links are set up in my navigation menus, and I want to add it to my drop-down menu for the website:

<div id="navbar">
    <ul >
        <li><a runat="server" href="~/Default.aspx">Home</a></li>
        <li><a runat="server" href="~/Forumfilename.???">Forums</a></li>
    </ul>
</div>

Thanks again for your continued assistance, it truly is appreciated.

Coleen

Coordinator
Dec 6, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Hi,

Normally should be the name of the folder (subapplication).

like /forum/ or /forums/

Regards,

Jorge

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Thanks Jorge - sorry, I didn't realize my example rendered - I should have put it in the Code format - please see my above example. I really need to have the file name - I know I can insert the entire URL as: Http://mywebsite.com/forums but it is much better to insert the file name as it takes less time to be processed from within the server than to load the entire URL as a menu link. Isn't there a file name associated with the forums? Like an .aspx or an .ascx extension file name? It would really help me out if I knew what the name of the main forum file is. Thanks,

Coleen

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Hi,

It doesn't work that way... Its ASP.NET MVC and uses routing to determine the paths not files.

Kind Regards,.

jorge

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Okay, that answers that question, I guess I use the full path then - thank you. :-)

Coleen