Custom Template Issues/Questions?

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Hello,

Quick Intro: I'm Adam. Been working with NearForums for a few days now so still getting to know the system. Decided on NearForums as its the only ASP.NET MVC forum system I could find with something of a community.

I am working on a Template port of my website GamesFinity.com, and have come across a few stumbling blocks. I am unable to get images linked within the CSS file to appear on the template. Here is a basic example of what I am doing in the CSS:

body {
	background: url("http://www.gamesfinity.com/content/images/bg.png") repeat-x scroll center 101px #fff;
	color: #333333;
	font: 12px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
}

I was wondering if there is something inherited in the system that is blocking all image calls of this nature. Thoughts?

Also I was curious about what is inserted in the {-headercontent-} section. Is it currently possible to split up, edit, or manipulate those menu items in any way? I ask as I have a need to split the search bar and locate it elsewhere.

As always thanks in advance for any and all help you can provide!

Regards,

-Adam

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Hi,

About a template package, are you placing the css file inside "template-contents" folder?

If you are stuck, you can send the package to us and we can take a look...

About the headercontent placeholder, the engine renders the view located in Views/Shared/HeaderContent.cshtml, if you cannot place the search bar where you want with css, you can edit the view or you can play around with other partial views placeholders ( like {-usermenu-})...

Kind Regards,

Jorge

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Hi Jorge,

Yes the CSS file is inside the template-contents, and everything inside the CSS file is working except for images that are linked as I showed above. Do you have any idea how to fix this or should I just send you the template file?

I think I found a way to kind of hack together what I need with the placeholders. That part of my questions is answered.

Thanks,

-Adam

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Hi Adam,

Glad that you could "hack" into the template engine! :)

For the images, I can not reproduce the error you are saying.

I created you a little example of a template that shows the Google logo from Google servers... http://www.nearforums.com/downloads/templates/greysand-external-images.zip (look for #header selector inside layout.css file)

Hope it helps as a "guide".

Kind Regards,

Jorge

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Thanks Jorge,

For some reason I still wasn't able to get the external images to work, but as soon as I made all of the images local things started working correctly. I assume it might have something to do with localhost not connecting correctly as I am testing with my other server. Who knows!?!?

Thanks for the help though. I really appreciate it!

-Adam

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2013 at 3:23 PM

No problem!

Glad to know!