RSS feed

May 10, 2013 at 4:32 AM
First I love the forums!! Appreciate all the hard work!

My question:
I have my site set up like so.
mainWebSite.com (MVC3)
forums.mainWebSite.com (nearforums)

I have single sign on work wonderfully! Users can log into the main site and it auto logs them into the forums when they click the link to visit the forums.

Finally the question, I want to put a feed on the mainWebSite.com that has the latest posts. I am currently doing this by reading the built in feed from nearforums (forums.mainWebSite.com/rss) and displaying the results on the page on the mainWebSite.com. The problem is even if I am logged in when the mainWebSite.com reads the RSS feed it doesn't return the latest topics from forums that require you to be logged in.

I apologize if this doesn't make sense, but what it comes down to is the RSS return doesn't to use the single sign on information. If I log on to the main site and then click the forum link I am automatically logged into the forums and it works great! But if I log on the main site and then try to read the rss feed from the code in the main site it doesn't seem to recognize that I am logged in.

Thanks for such an awesome forum!!!

Jeff
Coordinator
May 10, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Hi Jeff,
As the rss is a public "page", it retrieves the same topics as an anonymous user would see when visiting the homepage. To get the data shown in rss is retrieved using SPTopicsGetLatest stored procedure passing null as current role and it does not allow authentication.

Probably you have a good reason to hide some topics for anonymous user and displaying them on your main website... If not, you could just set the read access to "Everyone" and it would work :)
If this is not possible, you could directly query the nearforums db, using the SPTopicsGetLatest proc (I don't know about your server layout)

Happy that you are using and enjoying Nearforums!

Kind regards,
Jorge
May 10, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Perfect!!! I can query the db directly, sorry I didn't think about that! I can using some logic and if not logged in just use the RSS feed and if logged in query the db directly to get that info. Thanks so much, sorry for long winded question, I just have a hard time putting my thoughts into words that make sense. lol

Thanks!
Jeff