Email error

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:14 PM
When I try to change the user mail address to an email that another user already uses I got an error.
On the version that is running in our test server the page is redirected to the Error500 page and lost all templates configuration.
On the local development version I have the following error:

Thanks in advance.

Pedro.
Coordinator
Sep 1, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Hi,
We can not see the image, could you copy / paste the error?

Kind Regards,
Jorge
Sep 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Hi, Jorge.

The error is the following:
Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The E-mail supplied is invalid. 
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.Configuration.Provider.ProviderException: The E-mail supplied is invalid.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.  

Stack Trace: 

[ProviderException: The E-mail supplied is invalid.]
   System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.UpdateUser(MembershipUser user) +1133
   NearForums.Web.Controllers.UsersController.Edit(Int32 id, User user) +571
   lambda_method(Closure , ControllerBase , Object[] ) +218
   System.Web.Mvc.ActionMethodDispatcher.Execute(ControllerBase controller, Object[] parameters) +51
   System.Web.Mvc.ReflectedActionDescriptor.Execute(ControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 parameters) +409
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethod(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters) +52
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass15.<InvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__12() +127
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter(IActionFilter filter, ActionExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation) +436
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass17.<InvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__14() +61
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter(IActionFilter filter, ActionExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation) +436
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass17.<InvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__14() +61
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodWithFilters(ControllerContext controllerContext, IList`1 filters, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters) +305
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeAction(ControllerContext controllerContext, String actionName) +830
   System.Web.Mvc.Controller.ExecuteCore() +135
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.Execute(RequestContext requestContext) +232
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.System.Web.Mvc.IController.Execute(RequestContext requestContext) +39
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClassb.<BeginProcessRequest>b__5() +68
   System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass1.<MakeVoidDelegate>b__0() +44
   System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass8`1.<BeginSynchronous>b__7(IAsyncResult _) +42
   System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncResult`1.End() +141
   System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncResultWrapper.End(IAsyncResult asyncResult, Object tag) +54
   System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncResultWrapper.End(IAsyncResult asyncResult, Object tag) +40
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClasse.<EndProcessRequest>b__d() +38
   System.Web.Mvc.SecurityUtil.<GetCallInAppTrustThunk>b__0(Action f) +31
   System.Web.Mvc.SecurityUtil.ProcessInApplicationTrust(Action action) +56
   System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +110
   System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.System.Web.IHttpAsyncHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult result) +38
   System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +9029901
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +184
Thanks in advance.

Pedro.
Sep 6, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Hi,

I've tried to do the same test in your example forum (http://sample.nearforums.com/) and got the error too, but the customized error, like in my server version.
Here is the image of the error:

I'll give you the steps of my test, if I was not clear enough in my first post.

1- I signed up two users, with different email adresses, like user_one@email.com and user_two@email.com. 2- Then I've tried to change the second user email address (user_two@email.com) to user_one@email.com. That's the moment when I got the error.
3- If I check the database or the account information, the email address was changed despite the error, it means that the second user email address should be user_one@email.com and I should be able to register another user with user_two@email.com, but the "Register" page says that already exists a user with that email address.

I don't know if it's a limitation of the application itself, if it's a error indeed, if I made something wrong, or if I'm crazy.

I would be gladly if anyone could give me an answer (even if it says that I'm really crazy).

Thanks in advance.

Pedro.
Coordinator
Sep 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Hi Pedro,
It is indeed a bug...
I will post an issue in order to track it and if someone could fix it.

Kind Regards,
Jorge
Coordinator
Sep 7, 2013 at 8:15 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.