DB Migration from 6.X to 7.X

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:48 AM

First of all thanks for that nice (and small, compact) forum engine!

I've used version 6.X to se up our forum, but we've experienced many problems (mostly caused by the young codebase) now it's time to migrate to version 7.

The problem is how I migrate the db? I've installed the binaries on the web server, but I cannot browse any forum becuase it says that it can't found some columns...

Obviously I need to update the db, but how? I will lose my data?

Thanks a lot in advance for your reply!

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Hi Umberto,

We use DbUp to mantain and upgrade the development database, so we can identify the changes in the db from one version to another.

I prepared for you the scripts to execute in your nearforums v6 db: http://www.nearforums.com/downloads/sql-scripts-603-to-702.zip

There are 13 sql scripts to execute (if you want you can combine them in just 1 file by using the copy command of DOS), be sure to execute them in alphabetical order (from #17 to #29). This scripts are provided AS IS without warranty of any kind, express or implied, ... (Be sure to make a backup of your db first!).

Hope it helps!!

Kind Regards,

Jorge

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Hi jorgebg,

right now I'm out of office so I cannot try, but thank you for your quick and complete rerply.

And as a side note you have a top-level "customer" support!

Thanks again and I'll keep you updated about the migration!

Best regards,
Umberto Giacobbi - Revel Software Founder

P.S. Good the disclaimer, you know your job!

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:38 AM

All done and now it works!

I've also see some improvements on the ui side of the forum. Grezt work and keep up with the good job!

Thanks!