upgrading a 7.0 site

Aug 5, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Hmm, I guess I wish Nearforums had version info in the Admin panel. Of course, looking at the .dll files will tell me I'm running 7.0.3

I'm pretty sure I'm running an older build, but not clear on how to deploy the version 8.0 "Web and DB scripts."

No info here (that I can find) in discussions or in documentation about upgrading a site.

I'm only concerned about losing custom templates, graphics, etc that I originally used when installing NearForums. Comfortable with hand-copying over files that are new/different but this is time consuming. Not seeing a script in the downloaded "Web and DB scripts" that might do the install.

No questions about running the db update script. that is clear.

Coordinator
Aug 5, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Hi,

I can give you some instructions to do it, but could you provide details about what you modified from the 7.0.3 release?

If you modified cshtml files, it would be somewhat time consuming...

Kind Regards,

Jorge

Aug 5, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Edited Aug 6, 2012 at 3:20 AM

I've reviewed the site and it appears all I have done is installed a new template.

I have that backed up and know I can reimport it. This was only a test site. content not even that important. Perhaps I will start over with a new install.

But for future, I'd like it to be easier to upgrade. If you can give me instructions, I will try it this time. I see that there are some very critical changes I'd like to begin using in version 8.

Also, I'm reading about deployment packages and they can do a variety of things, or omit things. I'm not clear if the posted deployment package for 8.0 will overwrite my database, need to create a new one, apply changes. I have a feeling if I just use it with IIS manager and do an "IMport Application" I will end up creating a whole new NearForums site.

Am I missing something here on Codeplex that gives some detailed instructions about installing?

oh, I do see that an "import application" offers choices: http://imgur.com/EEHfY

Darn, on a 64 bit IIS (win7 and win srvr 2008 r2, the deployment packagae fails with the following error:

'enable32BitAppOnWin64 is not a valid attribute of the deployment object 'createApp' (seems to be an old bug in VS/IIS)

Coordinator
Aug 6, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Hi,

As you say, for a dev site with only a template change, a clean install of v8 is the way to go.

To upgrade from a version to another (considering that there weren't chtml file changes), it involves executing a bunch of db scripts (not included in the release) and copy/paste (replacing) the files from the web folder. You are right that there isn't actually no documentation on how to upgrade from n version to n+1 version, but as the Nearforums user base will grow, we surely must deliver it.

About the updating the website using deployment package and not very familiar with it and I can not help you with that (anybody?)...

Kind Regards,

Jorge

Aug 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Hi Jorge,

Maybe I can offer some help here. Having used a lot of different open source packages and then had to update sites later, I know it's not the first thing a team thinks about. But often it is the difference between happy web admins following your package for a long time, or letting it drop after working with one version of it.

The Mojoportal team had this same problem with deploying via the "Import Application" option on IIS. see this support forum thread http://goo.gl/tFcG7

BTW, it was not that I wanted to update using the package. I was trying to use it to install a new version of NearForums. As I said, I used the appropriate version of IIS on two platforms and the "Import Application" method failed. It did seem to register the manifest okay, but it could not run to completion, throwing the error above.

I conclude that the team put two zip files on the Codeplex download page for a reason. I see that in the "Web and DB scripts" option there are separate scripts included for using MySql. But the "Webdeploy Package" is clearly meant to be an IIS compatible installation option. It has no extra MySql scripts. (see this picture illustrating how the IIS "Import Application" reads the Webdeploy package when it is opened. http://imgur.com/EEHfY

In summary, I don't mean to 'beat a dead horse' here, I'm just trying to understand what the team is giving us to deploy from the Codeplex downloads page. I am certainly able to unzip and install to IIS, but I'm also clear that if I am looking for more comprehensive instructions (especially when things do not work as expected), that others will be looking too.

Meantime, there is always good old Web Platform installer. Heck, even that can fail to deliver a good install experience. On my developer machine I have latest components of VS installed, including LocalDB. The second instance of SQL server can throw the Web Platform Installer for a loop. Mojoportal thinks that even Web Platform installer deserves documentation: http://goo.gl/MafE9

Oh, I just found the installation documentation. An option for Web Platform installer and then this second page which details how to install from the Zip files. http://nearforums.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Manual%20Install&referringTitle=Installation%20guide

But notice that even on that page you have two separate comments from people who had trouble with the install.

Coordinator
Aug 6, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Edited Aug 6, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Hi,

I don't know if I understand correctly...

We provide the "Web Deploy" package to install it through the Microsoft Web Platform Installer. Nearforums is part of the Web App Gallery and it can be installed from there (it has been tested by us and the MS team). On the other side, we provide a manual way to install it, aimed for developers that want to "copy/paste", create a site on IIS and GO...

If you want to report a bug in any of the installation methods, please provide the steps you are making (on iis / on the web pi / file system / ...) so we can reproduce it and try to fix it. Also, if you have some tips on how to solve it, great!

Kind Regards,

Jorge