New question regarding privacy & security

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I'd like my forums to be completely private and secure - in other words, I don't want them to be crawled by Google, Yahoo or Bing. Is there a way to set this up to make it non-crawlable? TIA,

Coleen

Coordinator
Dec 6, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Hi,

You could do it by adding a robots.txt file or adding a meta tag instructing the crawlers (Googele, Bing, ...) not to index the website.

Kind Regards,

Jorge

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Thank you Jorge - those links are very helpful. One other question about this - is there by any chance an IP tracer for members? I want to be able to trace where my members log in from. My website is an International help/grief/loss website and I have members from all over the world, and would like to be able to track where a member is logging in from. Is there a way to do that? Thanks again,

Coleen

Dec 8, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I also wanted to know about privacy - is there a way to make the forums completely members only? I.e., they can only read & post if they are members?

Thank for any and all of your help, it truly is appreciated.

Coleen

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Hi,

There are 2 ways you can accomplish it.

1. When you create a forum, you can specify members of which roles can post into the forum. You can use the role "Trusted members" and above. You can select who are "trusted members" on the admin dashboard.
  2. You can restrict the authentincation, allowing only specific people to create an account (ie: hiding the registration form).

The option 1 is more easy to set up.

Kind Regards,

Jorge

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Great - thank you! I thought perhaps as I was setting up the forum that was how to do it, I just needed to verify it. The last thing I need to know is about the IP addresses -any info on being able to get IP's of member's? I have a good IP tracer program so I can tell where my users are from if I can just find a way to show the IP addresses for administrators - do you know if there is a way to capture IP's for tracking where in the world my members are from? (Where is Waldo?) ;-)

Thanks again very much for all of your assistance!

Coleen

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Ran across a discrepancy in the way users are handled. If you set up a username as just Coleen, then go to sign in as Coleen using my Facebook account, Facebook uses my last name, so I become a completely "New" user - even though it should be checking my email address. Is there a way to prevent this or to allow someone to log in using Facebook or Twitter, but not use their last name automatically? TIA,

Coleen

Coordinator
Dec 10, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Hi Coleen,

Nearforums does not "join" or merge user accounts.

If you login using different methods you will get different accounts.

Kind Regards,

Jorge

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Okay, thanks. Hmmm, I'm going to need to announce this so that people don't end up with multiple accounts. Is there a way to edit the Login page to make an announcement regarding this on it? Thanks again for your help.

Coleen

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Can you or someone please let me know where I can edit the Main page that has the Login buttons for Facebook and Twitter? I really need to add a disclaimer that users need to be aware that using Facebook or Twitter will create a duplicate account if they already have a user account set up with the forums. This is important because many members will not want to use their real names on the forums.

Thanks for any help you can give on this.

Coleen