This project is read-only.

Supporting multiple languages

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:22 PM
I am considering making a french translation file. However, french and english should both be supported on my site. From what I can tell with the documentation, it seems you set the language once in a config file, and then it is set for good. i.e. you can't switch languages at run time - is this correct?

Ideally, what I would want is to simply have a Fr/En button at the top to allow a user to switch languages at any time.

Second best would be that I make two installations of the code (e.g. <url>/forum_fr, and <url>/forum_en), but that both use the same database, so that users in either language see the same set of threads (the threads/posts themselves are of course not translated).

Are either of these possible?

Thank you!
Jean
Apr 26, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Hi Jean,
You can not run 2 languages on the same instance of Nearforums. The only solution is to make the 2 different sites ( instances).
For maintainability, you could share some files in those instances (views / scripts / images) using virtual directories but that is IIS specific configuration...

Kind Regards,
Jorge
Apr 26, 2013 at 3:17 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.